Monday, September 13, 2021

No Regrets Here

No Regrets Here

Some work the same job for 30 years and retire. Some pastors preach at the same church for 30 years and retire. There is nothing wrong at all with that and to me would be awesome. However, that was not God’s plan for me. I started my first job in a family-owned business in 1970 at the age of 16 and made a career in selling auto parts for the next 25 years with my dad. Little did I know back then God had a different plan. I started my first full-time ministry position in 1995 and have been serving for 26 years. In my 51 years of work, I have been terminated 2 times; both were churches with young pastors in their first pastorate. There is a pattern there I believe.There were never any accusations other than standing for what I believe is right. After the last termination, I debated in my mind and heart if I should stay in the ministry. Maybe I should have stayed selling auto parts. Is God through with me? However, that was not God’s plan.

In my 26 years of ministry and the five churches I served, lifelong relationships were made with people I am still friends with today. Each church was different but the relationship building was the same. If you look through all my Facebook friends today, you will find friends from each church. Some more than others. I thank God almighty for each opportunity to serve him and make friends along the way. God had a plan for me my entire life. Even though I had to endure two terminations in my ministry, I regret nothing. Had God not placed me in any of those churches, I would never have met so many incredible people. I hate to think what I would have missed in making friends for life at those churches.

Five years ago, God provided a year-long sabbatical for me to heal and for him to teach me his infinite love. In that time I met the most amazing church staff who wrapped their arms around Becky and I and loved us like no other. I was privileged to serve on staff there for a short time with amazing people. Had I not been on that sabbatical I would have never met them. I hate to think I would have missed that. My dream my whole life is that I would end well and during my ministry years that I would end well for Jesus, especially as I got older and on the tail end of life. It looked dim and dark at times. However, God had a plan for me.

Today I celebrate another 4 years of ministry that boosted me to the 26 years. Four years ago today, out of nowhere, in just the right moment in time, a total stranger made a phone call to me. Calling with references from 3 of my friends, (see there!), he was looking for his next staff member. The rest of the story is about pure joy serving on one of the best staff I could ever imagine. God has placed me in just the right church at just the right time, again. Should I have stayed selling auto parts my whole life? Heck no! Should I have quit the ministry after 2 terminations? Heck no! No Regrets here.

 Comments?

No comments:

Post a Comment