Monday, June 12, 2017

Never Fatherless



I turned 16 years old in October 1970. I was a sophomore in high school in Corpus Christi, Texas and the day I got my license my dad put me to work in the family auto parts business. I worked for my dad for eleven years until he sold the family business and retired. He taught me business sense, extraordinary customer service, and marketing during those years. My dad was very well known in the automotive parts world and ran a great business for 20 plus years. After he retired, we all moved to Arlington, Texas where I opened a wholesale auto parts warehouse. Business was booming and I soon needed his help. Now after eleven years working for dad, he went to work for me. We worked together side by side for another five years until I eventually sold my company. Dad reluctantly retired, again. In May of 2000 I lost my mom to a heart attack and in August that same year, I lost my dad to old age. Both left earth within months of each other to be with Jesus for eternity. Y2K turned out to be nothing but the year 2000 was as storm for my family and I, losing both our parents. 

In February of 2000, just before losing my mom and dad, I joined a staff at a church in Fort Worth. The Senior Adult Minister was Bob Taylor. The moment I first stepped into his office to meet him, we prayed together. That started a lifetime friendship. For seven years Bob and I served God together making hospital visits and eating breakfast every week. Bob prays about everything. Phil 4.6. He had three grown sons of his own yet took me in like a son. During our friendship, Bob has lost two sons and his wife. He is my mentor, father figure, and prayer warrior here on earth. I know that one day I will lose Bob too.
But I will never be fatherless

In Deuteronomy chapter 31 Moses is speaking to the people telling them he is 120 years old and can no longer lead them. In verse 6 he assures them that in his absence God will never leave them nor forsake them. They will not be a fatherless people. Then in Hebrews chapter 13 Paul is giving his final words in his letter and in verse 5 he reminds them what God has said, “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you" assuring the reader that even in his absence, God will be with them.

No matter if we have lost our earthy fathers or father figure, Psalm 68:5, as a Christ follower we will never be fatherless. We will always have Abba Father who will never leave us. That is a truth grounded in the Word of God that we can depend on every day of our earthy life as Christians. Take joy as we approach Fathers Day and make the time to spend with your earthly father to love and honor him and thank him for being a great dad. If you are like me and have lost your earthy father, remember you are not fatherless. If you have never trusted Christ with your life nor believe that he died on the cross for your sins and was raised again and is alive, take a few minutes to pray and ask for his forgiveness and believe.





No comments:

Post a Comment