Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Mentoring Blues

I am going on my second year as a volunteer mentor at an elementary school here in Waco our church has adopted. It is a daunting task for me feeling many times that I have nothing to offer. I mean I am not a school teacher or anything and don't have the qualifications to be teaching. I ask myself many times, "am I making a difference?"

This year I am mentoring a 4th grade boy, I'll call him RH for this blog. We have only met once and today would have been our second time together. We meet once a week for one hour and do learning activities, play games, and get to know each other. My first session last week was great! We spent most of the time talking and getting to know each other. He is a pretty cool kid and we had fun together. All this week I have been thinking hard about my session with RH this week. What game would we play, what learning activity would he benefit from. I decided that I would let him choose a book and hear him read and then read to him.It was my anticipation all morning! I show up at my usual time only to be very disappointed. RH was in time out!

This was my very first time to have my mentor kid in time out. RH saw me come in the school office and had this sad look. I was not sure what was going to happen today. The school counselor came out and informed me that RH can't meet today. When they are in trouble, the privilege of mentoring is taken away. I understand the process and agree with it, yet is was disappointing for me.I told RH I was praying for him and that rules have to be followed or there will be consequences.

 It's the same with you and I when we disobey God's word, there are consequences. In the Bible we are instructed to repent of our sin and ask for forgiveness which He is faithful to extend to us. The good part of this episode today with RH is that it will open the door for me next week to discuss our actions and consequences and with good behavior it will allow us to meet each week.

Luijarick

Comments? Discussion? Your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment