Thursday, October 31, 2013

Three Things I Learned About Stress

Wow! Now that is funny! Have you ever felt like the dog in this picture? Sure you have...we ALL have! I have used this picture a couple of times when speaking to groups on stress in their lives and how to lighten up some. My first presentation to a group was titled "Lighten Up, It's Just Administration". This is where my blog names came from; luija (lew-e-ga)! My first blog many years ago was luija.com and I had a lot of fun there. It soon morphed into luijarick.

In the secular / corporate world I would be the CFO, COO, and CEO all rolled into one person. In church life the CFO would be the Business Manager or Minister of Administration or Administrative Pastor. The COO would be the Administrator / Facility Manager, and the CEO would be the Executive Pastor. I have been all three for two years now and I have to say that picture above depicts many days for me the past two years. Wearing multiple hats in the office is really a challenge and some days, somehow, you just end up under the fat lady. Here are three things I learned from this picture over time.

1. Never stand under a fat lady for very long! The fat lady can be your work load, stress, circumstances in your life, or another person. Just know those are going to overshadow you at times so don't stand under them very long. Learn ways to move out from underneath the weight. I use laughter and fun to try and maneuver my way out from under those stressors in my daily routine.The key is removing the stressors.

2.  The folding chair is going to collapse sooner or later... but you don't have to be under it. We just can't stop some things from getting on top of us and put pressure on us. There is really not an "EASY" button to press and it all goes away. But we can avoid being under the chair by creating a safe place. A safe place can be with friends, time away from the office, anything that gets your mind off problems and allows you to breath and think clearly. With office stress, I get away from my office and walk the facility, go make a hospital visit, get a Dr Pepper from the kitchen, or whatever can help clear my mind.

3. When the chair collapses....don't just stand there! When life's problems pile up on you and crashes down around you, get out of the way. You have to do something about it and not let it get the best of you. I have mentors I use to vent and stay calm and help me with clear thinking. Placing people around you that will listen and help you think through issues is invaluable.

Here's the bottom line! When you look up and you're under the fat lady's chair that is about to collapse, remember those three things I learned and stay calm and RUN like the wind!

Comments? Discussion?

Luijarick

No comments:

Post a Comment